The Use of a Word
Willow
2012-08-07 16:42:52 UTC
There are some things you simply cannot change…

This morning I started off with my normal reads. Huffington Post, Salon, Slate, some newspapers and Time. A browse on Facebook and then on to Mail. A morning ritural…

There were at least ten articles on transgendered matters. Most were positive. No – all were positive. Granted, many were from Canada or Europe where matters are further along than in the United States. Still, the word – that word – “transgender” was used and used again. The woman who entered the Miss World (or Universe?) contest from Vancouver had a place of pride in the PRIDE Vancouver parade and many more stories.

So, a few angry and rather unpleasant voices are going to turn back this tide? I think not. Rant and rave as much as they might, the world has accepted the usage of transgender as an umbrella term to cover a variety of different peoples, including transsexual. Like it or not, it has gone mainstream and from that is no turning back.

In a chapter prepared for SEX & THE MEDIA, a text for college students released by Gage, I wrote a chapter on “Transgender Images in the Media”. It may still be read on the Web:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=UrEIJ2MzMtYC&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=Transgender+image+in+the+Media++Willow&source=bl&ots=9kYi8Nkhm2&sig=Kx62mjgh3MtE79mdN5DlG3AfiY4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hkIhUILODqjL2QXtroHQCw&sqi=2&ved=0CF0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Transgender%20image%20in%20the%20Media%20%20Willow&f=false

Rather dated now. Transgender has become the default which was bound to happen. Reporters and others are far to busy to stop and look up the “correct” term demanded by a small minority. If is far easier to simply use an umbrella term such as “transgendered” and after a few times in print, that becomes the standard regardless of what a fanatical few might demand.

Sonia and I recently attended an event hosted by PRIDE from UNBC. The audience was of all types that rest under the umbrella. Most were younger types. None evidenced any concern about the use of “transgender” as a term under which they all could fit. There was not one fanatic standing up to demand that the transsexuals be “cut out of the herd” and treated in any special manner. That was rather pleasant. I don’t attend these events often - this as the first in years and that only due to an invitation - but it was nice to see that transgender types of all kinds could comfortably meet without rancour and bitterness. I am very confident that had anyone demanded special recognition for one group – no matter how “different” that group was - from the others present, the very idea would have been treated as an antique, an issue long ago resolved.

Turn back this tide? Rant as one might, I doubt it…

Willow
m***@gmail.com
2012-08-08 10:47:48 UTC
Post by Willow
[...]
you are these words:

pervert, freak, sick, disgusting, autogenophile

essentially you are a disgusting human being and I cant wait for the day your ticker to stop ticking.
Willow
2012-08-09 14:57:38 UTC
As I do not know you, nor you me, I will refrain from calling you names. It may be that your mother never taught you the basics of civil discourse in which case it is never too late to learn.

W.
Jennifer Usher
2012-08-09 19:19:58 UTC
Post by Willow
As I do not know you, nor you me, I will refrain from calling you names. It
may be that your mother never taught you the basics of civil discourse in which
case it is never too late to learn.

What a sad joke…

Like Willie Boy ever learned. One of the first rules is to not force false
labels on people, especially when the don't want them.
Jennifer Usher
Jennifer Usher
2012-08-09 19:18:37 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
pervert, freak, sick, disgusting, autogenophile
essentially you are a disgusting human being and I cant wait for the day yo
ur ticker to stop ticking.

I agree with you to a point. I don't wish anyone dead. That is the actual
meaning of hate, and I hate no one. I don't agree with his lies, and I do
believe he is a very disturbed person. But I would not wish him harm that he
does not deserve.
Jennifer Usher
m***@gmail.com
2012-08-18 03:31:27 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
pervert, freak, sick, disgusting, autogenophile
essentially you are a disgusting human being and I cant wait for the day yo
ur ticker to stop ticking.
I agree with you to a point. I don't wish anyone dead. That is the actual
meaning of hate, and I hate no one. I don't agree with his lies, and I do
believe he is a very disturbed person. But I would not wish him harm that he
does not deserve.
--
Jennifer Usher
I dont wish the poor bastard harm or an early death either. I just did it to stick barbs in willow... but i know im ignorable to willow and the only person that can stick barbs in willow here is you.

The whole lot of them are seeking your approval and the reason they've been hanging round for so long has been because they are seeking your approval.
jennifer Usher
2012-08-19 23:44:56 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
pervert, freak, sick, disgusting, autogenophile
essentially you are a disgusting human being and I cant wait for the day yo
ur ticker to stop ticking.
I agree with you to a point. I don't wish anyone dead. That is the actual
meaning of hate, and I hate no one. I don't agree with his lies, and I do
believe he is a very disturbed person. But I would not wish him harm that he
does not deserve.
--
Jennifer Usher
I dont wish the poor bastard harm or an early death either. I just did it
to stick barbs in willow... but i know im ignorable to willow and the
only person that can stick barbs in willow here is you.
The whole lot of them are seeking your approval and the reason they've
been hanging round for so long has been because they are seeking your approval.
That thought has occurred to me. Of course, it is not going to happen.
Jennifer Usher
Willow
2012-08-20 01:58:12 UTC
Seeking approval????!!!

Now that is such total nonsense.

W.
jennifer Usher
2012-08-22 09:50:42 UTC
Post by Willow
Seeking approval????!!!
Now that is such total nonsense.
W.
Ah, it appears that a nerve has been struck. I suspect at some level what
was suggested is true. I always amused at how some seem so desperate to
avoid the truth.
Jennifer Usher
m***@gmail.com
2012-09-08 09:36:59 UTC
Post by Willow
Seeking approval????!!!
Now that is such total nonsense.
W.
are you kidding me you stupid idiot? you just wont shut up until Jennifer agrees with one of your stupid policies. You've been trying for years to get Jennifer's approval on the use of certain words.

"Diane Arons and the snooze-berry gang" is what i think of you idiots as.. a pop music group.. and arune is just one of the snooze-berries. It sounds better for me if diane heads the group though. I have no qualms if Jennifer thinks it should be "I am Arune and the snooze-berry gang"
Jennifer Usher
2012-08-09 19:15:45 UTC
Post by Willow
There are some things you simply cannot change…
Yes, for example, you cannot turn a man, like Willie Boy here, into a woman.
Post by Willow
This morning I started off with my normal reads. Huffington Post, Salon, S
late, some newspapers and Time. A browse on Facebook and then on to Mail.
A morning ritural…

Time that obviously would be better spent learning to spell…
Post by Willow
So, a few angry and rather unpleasant voices are going to turn back this ti
de? I think not. Rant and rave as much as they might, the world has accep
ted the usage of transgender as an umbrella term to cover a variety of diff
erent peoples, including transsexual. Like it or not, it has gone mainstre
am and from that is no turning back.

ROTFL! Yes, this is the new party line. It is repeated by the gender
fascists, over and over. They scream, "We will tell you what you can call
yourself! You will be a transgender, whether you like it or not." They have
to repeat this, because they know it is not true. More and more people are
beginning to learn just how offensive this is to those who really are
transsexual. We simply do not wish to be lumped in with those, like Willie
Boy, who are pretenders.
Post by Willow
Rather dated now. Transgender has become the default which was bound to h
appen. Reporters and others are far to busy to stop and look up the “cor
rect” term demanded by a small minority. If is far easier to simply use
an umbrella term such as “transgendered” and after a few times in print
, that becomes the standard regardless of what a fanatical few might demand
.

Exactly. A small minority, one which Willie Boy is not a part of. True
transsexuals are rare. Crossdressers, or more accurately, transvestites,
both part-time, or like Willie Boy, full time, are far more common. And they
have made a lot of noise, because they want to hide behind the skirts of true
transsexuals. Their cry goes up, "We are not perverts! We are just like
those transsexuals…except we don't want to REALLY be women…just pretend."
Post by Willow
Sonia and I recently attended an event hosted by PRIDE from UNBC. The audi
ence was of all types that rest under the umbrella. Most were younger type
s. None evidenced any concern about the use of “transgender” as a term
under which they all could fit. There was not one fanatic standing up to
demand that the transsexuals be “cut out of the herd” and treated in an
y special manner. That was rather pleasant. I don’t attend these events
often - this as the first in years and that only due to an invitation - bu
t it was nice to see that transgender types of all kinds could comfortably
meet without rancour and bitterness. I am very confident that had anyone d
emanded special recognition for one group – no matter how “different”
that group was - from the others present, the very idea would have been tr
eated as an antique, an issue long ago resolved.

So, why do the transgender types feel it necessary to force the term on those
who don't feel that they fit? Why do they feel the need to attack and insult
those who simply want to be left alone? Transsexuals don't want to be
treated in a special manner. In fact, we want exactly the opposite. We want
to simply be left alone.

Willie Boy, like certain others, tries to sound like he is being reasonable,
but he is really the one making demands. He is joining those who scream "We
have claimed you, and we will not allow you to identify as you wish." Why?
Because they fear the truth. And what is that truth? That they really don't
have any excuse, other than pure choice, for their behavior. They are
playing games, and by refusing to play along, we expose them to the light.
Post by Willow
Turn back this tide? Rant as one might, I doubt it…
Not the first time that Willie Boy has been wrong, and not the last.
--
Jennifer Usher